Sunday, January 4, 2009

Apple Crisp Oatmeal

I came across this recipe about a month ago, shortly after Buster was asking for oatmeal for breakfast. I usually do Alton's Steel Cut Oatmeal, but it takes too long for a school day. So this morning I tried this recipe I found on Kids Cuisine. It uses regular rolled oats, some apples and pecans. With the low fat milk and a pretty small amount of added sugar, I can feel good feeding the guys a surprisingly hearty breakfast. This recipe called for two large apples. The ones I had were huge. I think they are intending two large bagged apples. The apples selected individually at the grocery are really big. So I probably could have gone with just one apple. But it was really good with all those apples. And we have leftovers to use during the week. Buster was excited about that.

Apple Crisp Oatmeal
Servings: 4

3 cups water

1 cup lowfat 1% milk
2-1/2 cups rolled oats
2 large apples, peeled and diced
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch salt

Bring water and milk to a boil over medium high heat.

Add oats, apples, and pecans. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes.

Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for one more minute, uncovered.

Serve immediately.

No comments: