Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Swope Bread

I got this recipe from a friend a month or so ago. It sounded really good, but I hadn't gotten around to making it until tonight. I wish I would have tried it sooner. It is easy to prepare and tastes great. I don't usually like bread that has more wheat than white flour, but the sweetness makes it really good, although I think I'd like to try it with honey instead of sugar, and perhaps a bit less sweet. If you follow the link to All Recipes, you can see the discussion of tweaking the recipe a bit. But it's quite good as is.



Swope Bread


Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 cups buttermilk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together bread flour, whole wheat flour, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Stir buttermilk into flour mixture. Beat well. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for one hour.

No comments: