Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Old Fashion Cream Pie

This recipe is from my husband's family. My mother-in-law recreated this recipe from a restaurant she used to work in. You need to use a heavy pie plate. A Pyrex plate may work, but I would avoid any metal pie plates. We use Louisville Stoneware pie plates for best results. This pie can make a mess of your oven though. Mine always bubble over, but my sister-in-law doesn't have that problem. Not sure why. If it does bubble over, run a knife around between the pie plate and pie crust to keep it from sticking to the pan when it cools. For easier cleanup, put a rimmed baking sheet on the shelf beneath the pie to catch any overrun.


Old Fashion Cream Pie

unbaked, single pie crust in heavy pie pan

4 tbsp. flour
1 cup sugar
pinch of butter (I use 1 tsp. cut into small pieces)
pinch of salt

Mix above ingredients in the pie pan.

Fill with 1 pint Half & Half (I have used whipping cream with good results.)

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 and bake for another 2 hours.

No comments: