Saturday, December 13, 2008

Turkey & Noodles

So I learned this evening that my husband really didn't like the way I made turkey and noodles. I would usually cook the noodles in broth then add the turkey and maybe some veggies. It was more of a thick turkey noodle soup. Today I cooked the noodles in water and basically made turkey gravy instead of a can of creamed soup to do more of a tuna and noodles kind of thing. Other than the carrots being under done it was pretty good. Although I think next time I should start with some onion at the beginning of the sauce. If you have leftover gravy (about 2 cups or so), by all means use it instead of the butter, flour and broth. Cook the carrots and peas with the pasta instead of in sauce.

Turkey & Noodles

4 tbsp. butter (or use half butter half oil)
1/4 cup (or so) finely diced onion
1/4-1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups shredded turkey
2 cups turkey (or chicken) broth
1/4-1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 lb. cooked egg noodles

Melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onion and carrots for a few minutes to soften onion. Add flour, salt and pepper. Cook until bubbly, 2 minutes. Stir in turkey. Add broth and peas. Bring to a boil, then simmer until thickened, stirring often. Stir in noodles. Season to taste and serve.

No comments: